How I Got Started Voice Acting

Many people have asked how I got started in voice acting. I'm going to tell you how I did it and how you can get started too!

Believe it or not, my voice acting journey began online. I started voice acting in late 2011. I saw a fandub audition on a Kingdom Hearts fansite. A friend said I should do it and that I have the voice for voice acting. Well, I had always had a dream of voice acting since I was a kid. So I joined the site and auditioned. I didn't get into the fandub but I was hooked for life!


From there, I auditioned for a few more fandubs at the same site. Then someone on the site mentioned VAA (Voice Acting Alliance), a site with a broader range of voice auditions.

When I checked it out I was amazed to find a gold mine of auditions. At first, I stuck to fandub auditions, most of which I passed.

Around 2012 is when I really got serious. I wanted to try for the professional auditions at VAA. I passed quite a few and was able to make my first professional demo.

Then in September 2012 I got really hopeful. My demo was discovered on Youtube by someone who wanted me to voice for a TV pilot. After sorting details, I got to record in a profesisonal studio for the very first time in December 2012. I wasn't allowed to talk about the project for a while until 2014. The project is a children's TV pilot called The Secret Kitchen.

Ever since I started voice acting, of course I've wanted to get paid doing what I love. So, in early 2013, I returned to Fiverr and revived my voice acting page. Business was slow in the beginning but I was getting it. In 2014 my Fiverr presence began to grow as more and more people hired me for my voice! I've since voiced in commercial projects such as Artisan: Going Home Again and even Make-A-Wish Foundation!

Now, I work between Fiverr and VAA. I no longer do fandubs and am focused on work that can be listed on my resume.

So how can you get started? Try one or more of these options:
Fandubs - If you aren't comfortable with stepping into professional voice acting just yet, give fandubbing a try just to test the waters. Fandubbing a is a great step for beginner voice actors and is a great way to learn about the field and to mold your craft as an artist.

Professional Works - If you are confident enough and feel ready, go ahead and audition for an original, professional project and get started on a demo right away. However, if you go this route, make sure to have great equipment. Your recordings must be crystal clear and free of any outside noise, pops, etc.

Do It Yourself - Or you could take a solo approach and either 1) create your own original show to voice for, or 2) do solo fandubs for a while and see how that goes.

That's how I got started!

I really hope this helps you out! Good luck!

Be sure to check out the helpful links below. Also, keep researching and learning everyday. Even the pros learn new things about the industry daily. ;)

Resources:
VAA (Voice Acting Alliance) - http://www.voiceactingalliance.com

Fiverr - http://www.fiverr.com

Voices123 - http://www.voices123.com

Voices - https://www.voices.com/

Behind the Voice Actors - http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/

Backstage - http://www.backstage.com/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Online Voice Actors: Don't Do This.